23 January 2006

Bella Roma*

Strolling down the street after class the other day, a friend of mine casually said, "It's beautiful, Rome. Small, but beautiful." And it made me stop and think. Such a simple, passing phrase that meant so much. It poked me on the shoulder and carried me back to my first impressions of this little city. What I noticed the moment that I arrived is that the Italian culture is one that places a large emphasis on the body and on space. Italians walk together, they eat well, they visit the places that they treasure from times past, all the while chatting away as if they have just been reunited after years of separation. Memories made, memories shared.

It is a rare thing, by the way, to see an Italian with shabby clothes who looks like they have taken less than 45 minutes to prepare before leaving the house. After all, care for their body is care for themselves. That's just what they do. And all of this takes place in an itty-bitty living space (thank you Robin Williams), and always has. So, just like we learned in Kindergarden (well, those of us who listened at least), we share because we have no choice. On the street, a bump here, a brush there. No problem. And it's not just Italians with this mentality either. Rome is incredibly international. Being that close often brings people together, I find.

Ok, it's true. Rome is not a paradise of fairy-tales and bubble-gum. Humans live here, not Roman gods. But, in the end, that is what makes Rome so beautiful is people. I do wish that I could share a lot of what goes on here with you all. But, sadly, we are also restricted by this whole body/space thing. But, ok. That is also what makes a visit to Rome that much more inticing, right? Until then, here are some pictures from first semester that I compiled.

*Nota bene. Here is a quick way to communcate the content of the posts which you find on this blog. In the title, there will appear these symbols fittingly:

That which reguards... my experience of Rome*

... +-[news and current events] (a plane with a banner, see it?!)

... jokes, games, videos, etc. (no symbol)

No comments: