13 February 2006

I learned my lesson*

The other day I learned my lesson, or at least I was taught a lesson. Whether I learned anything remains to be seen. But, in any event, I was walking home from school and noticed that a car was making a u-turn in the middle of a two-lane road with traffic going each way. While it may seem very strange to some that this happened, those of you who have visited foreign countries know that many times traffic laws are treated as more of a good goal to shoot for rather than a necessity as it is in the states.

So anyways, as said motorist spun around in the midst of fairly heavy traffic, his tiny Italian car ran up on the curb with a crunch. "ooo" I said to myself silently with a how-could-someone-be-so-stupid look on my face. Next, the driver got out of his car, and I passed him staring at the mark that the curb made on the front bumper. I then thought to myself, "Man, what an idiot" while looking backwards at the spectacle of backed up traffic and subtle hand gestures. Just then, in that moment, I tripped and fell on a loose, unearthed cobble stone in front of all of those people. I guess that's what I get for looking back, a scuffed leather shoe and a bruised sense of pride.

No comments: